Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Graduation & The End of BYU?

So you're wondering what the title means, right? Well, me too. I'm sure by the end of the post, I'll figure out something to write. In the meantime, however, let me tell you that I am officially graduated from college! It's a pretty big accomplishment, especially since I'm the first grandchild on both the Boss and Washburn sides to graduate. But I have to admit, I wasn't really that excited. Here's why. See, there are many reasons why one pays thousands of dollars to learn - half of which is useless information (i.e, GE's). The other half is supposedly something you're interested in and wouldn't mind making a career out of. So here I sit with a Bachelors of Science degree in Technology and Engineering Education. I couldn't have asked to graduate in a "better" economic time when it's VERY hard to get a job. I always thought that it would be great to get a teaching degree because I could easily get a teaching job and if I decide to go into industry, I could fall back on teaching when that gets bad. Well, things are bad and everyone has fallen back on their teaching degrees. So, for the first time in a very long time, principals actually have a choice of who they hire! So the future looks bright! Seriously! I have some prospects and I'm excited for the possibilities. Also, it's important to note that with the baby coming, both our parents near, we're gonna stay here in Utah/SL counties. Wherever that'll put us.






Now, I digress. Let me refer you back to the title of the post. There is a big question about whether I will return to BYU immediately to obtain a Master's degree. Let me straighten things out so not as to confuse anyone. I will return to BYU to get a Master's degree, just not right now. First, I have to take the GRE (entrance exam), then apply, get accepted, etc. So, hopefully I can be ready come winter semester. So it's not the end of BYU for me. But I will return a Graduate Student, which means better parking!

Last of all, I just want to thank everyone who supported me (and still does) especially during the last year or so in which I have gone to school every single month. I'm tired. I'm gonna enjoy my summer for the first time in a long time.

Thank you.

2 comments:

KColton said...

CONGRATS! That is such a huge accomplishment, nice work! The timing of graduating and having a baby soon works out nicely! We are putting off college right now so we are super jealous! Good luck finding a job!

Harrison - Party of Four! said...

You guys timed it perfectly. Marriage, Graduation, Job, then Baby. :) It was great seeing you guys this last week, we had a ton of fun BBQ and just talking. Well have to hang out again sometime this summer for sure!
Brant